It was one of my bad days. Deep in depression. I had fought against myself to get up, to eat something and face another long, difficult day working. I was in San Francisco, CA. The weather was beautiful, sunny. No fog. The city splendid. My face dark and sad, but I couldn’t change it, didn’t care. I was really down.
I forced me and went out to buy the morning papers. I said hello very politely to the rabbi from a nearby synagogue, to a neighbor and to a friend. Nobody noticed my bad situation, or at least nobody said a word or asked me about it. I was sure I was doing a very good job concealing it.
Then I turned the corner and I saw two homeless sitting on the floor begging: one black, one white. As I was passing by, the black one told me:
– Smile, sister! Don’t be so sad. Life is beautiful!
So my face betrayed me and he, of all people noticed and decided to said something about it.
The other one stopped shaking his can of coins and said
– Would you marry me?
– You can’t marry her, you’ll should have to work! , said the other.
– You’re right. I can’t do that
By then I was laughing
– You see? Now that you’re smiling you look beautiful, said the black man
I followed my way to my errands with my first smile after days and days of crying. When I was on my way back I gave them enough change to have some breakfast.
That evening I went out again and I found the two homeless still at the same spot. When I arrived the one who in the morning wanted to marry me didn’t recognize me at all. Just shook the can. The other one did it. He said to his companion:
– No, stop it. This is the lady that gave us this morning for breakfast.
And then to me:
– God bless you, and remember, keep smiling!
This is what other bloggers say about kindness:
- A Moment of Kindness | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Kindness | The Educated Illiterates
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Kindness « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Kindness | Stevie’s Words
- The Joke of the Day | Daily Prompt: Moment of Kindness | likereadingontrains
- Return To Innocence | as long as i’m singing
- Daily Prompt: Kindness | Books, Music and Movies : my best friends
- kindness | Taking time, making time
- Moments of Kindness | Nanuschka’s Blog
- An Act of Kindness in Space | Things To Rave About
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Kindness | unknowinglee
- 36. The Painting Party | Sofie’s Diary
- Daily Prompt – Kindness in a Meal | Create & Motivate!
- Moment of Kindness: Do I Suck? | Mary Angelini Photography
- A Thief No More (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- Our dog has curves! Wooo~ |
- DP – 7 Acts of Kindness | Cozy Compulsions @ Midnight
- Be kind to your soul | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Learning to Use the Remote | windandlaughter
- Moment of Kindness | Tamara’s Mid-Life Crisis @ 30
- My experiences with people with disabilities. Why are we so uncomfortable around them? | Hera Pereira
- Daily Prompt: Wicker has no place indoors | stuffy tales
- Daily Prompt – Moment of Kindness | hometogo232
- Daily Prompt: Wicker has no place indoors | Someday I Will Learn
- The Adventure of Ann Netherton (Short Fiction) | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: Kindness of Others | The White Coat Chronicles
- A Child’s Eyes | Lewis Cave
- The Wisdom of Kindness | Sanjuro Tokage’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Moment Of Kindness With Mom | Mindful Splatter
- Blindness to Kindness | clarior e tenebris
- I like my Bike | The Rider
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Kindness | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Human Kindness… | Haiku By Ku
- Canine Kindness | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Kindness : The Clumsy Girl and the Homeless Man | Inside the Mind of a Crazy Cat Lady
- Moment of Kindness | The Nameless One
- Do you believe in guardian angels? | From Five to Fifty
- Kindness to a Stranger | The Rider
- Every August.. | Relax…
- Daily Prompt: An Act Of Kindness | My Daily Prompt Blog
- The kindness in me… | Thriving Pessimist…
- Tweet! Tweeeeeety-tweet! | I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Kindness | Maggie’s Blog
- Moment of Kindness: Daily Prompt | The Tromp Queen
- The Guardian Angels Among Us | Brush Strokes And Scribbled Thoughts
- Daily Prompt: Kindness to Stranger in the Next Stall | Iam Who Iam
- I Have Always Relied on the Kindness of Strangers: Daily Prompt | BLUE BEAD PUBLICATIONS
- Another Moment of Kindness | Geek Ergo Sum
- CRAZY LOVE | hastywords
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Kindness | 4 of Wands
- Daily Prompt: Things Change in Grumpville | One Starving Activist
- kind by design | A beetle with earrings
- Can we all be a little kinder? | That Socially Anxious Atheist Paranoid Gay
- Canine Kindness | Required Writing
- DAILY PROMPT: MOMENT OF KINDNESS | Words We Women Write
- When My Scooter Broke Down- Daily Prompt- Kindness | The be-all and end-all
- BENEATH ONE LAYER (Short fiction) | cinnwriterblog
- Story of a Blue Balloon & little sky | Journey Called Life …
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Kindness | The Traffic Girl
- Valentine’s Day Is Over | a former clarity
- Daily Prompt: Kindness | Healing Through Pictures
- Mr. Flower | A Sign Of Life
- When in Rome… | hansolosvagina
- Because our son thinks it would be cool | Butterfly Mind
- Daily Prompt: Pastalessness | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Saved By The Frappe | All Those Small Things
- Kindness | Hasta Que mi Corazón Explote… | Until my Heart Explodes…
- Moment Of Kindness | The self sufficient single mother
- A hoping, hopping Robin | the Green and White pages
- My Unexpected Angel | Mind My Mind But…
- Moment of Kindness: A Poem | Khana’s Web
- Moment of Kindness | Going New Places!